The Apeks XL4 Ocea regulator is the first of its kind – an environmentally-conscious regulator. The Ocea is made from recycled materials and bio-plastics, manufactured in a solar-powered facility. Based on the XL4+, every single material and process was reconsidered to create the most eco-sensitive scuba diving regulator in the world.
The Ocea is a truly game-changing regulator that removes five times its own weight in plastic from the environment. Apeks shares “For every purchase, we collect 5kg of ocean-bound plastic, in collaboration with Plastic Bank”.
- Is made from recycled plastic waste and plant-based bioplastic
- Is manufactured in a solar-powered facility
- Uses lead-free brass that can be endlessly recycled and is stronger than standard brass.
Features of the Apeks XL4 Ocea Regulator:
The Ocea is nitrox compatible to 40% out of the box.
The XL4 has a compact machined first stage based on the Apeks DS4 platform.
This first stage has a unique over-balanced diaphragm design. This allows the medium pressure gas in the hose to increase at a faster rate as the diver descends. The result of an over-balanced diaphragm is superior performance at depth. This first stage has 2 high pressure ports, and 4 medium pressure ports.
The Ocea’s second stage is compact and lightweight. This means it’s not only great for travel, but excellent for smaller faces with smaller features. Having a smaller reg also helps reduce jaw fatigue on long duration dives, as there is less weight to hold in your mouth. The ocea features a high-performance, pneumatically balanced, lever operated poppet valve. It has a large, over moulded self-flushing purge button. This button is easy to control. The venturi lever is ergonomic – meaning it’s easy to use, and to locate.
The exhaust valve on the 2nd stage are a durable and flexbile plastic, designed to diver the bubbles to the side of your face rather than in front.
The mouthpieces are the apeks Comfobite, which feature a bridge that sits on the upper palate of the mouth, effectively holding it in place. They are held in place with a re-usable mouthpiece clip, allowing you to easily change the mouthpiece in field.
The hoses on the Ocea are flexible nylon braided hoses, which provide better cold water performance than rubber hoses. Plus this hose has a standard metallic connection for interchangeability.
- Connection: Yoke and DIN available
- First stage type: Over-balanced diaphragm design, environmentally sealed
- Body type: One piece machined body
- Number of HP ports: 2
- Number of MP ports: 4
- Environmental Dry Kit: Standard
- First stage exterior: Satin
- Orientation: RH only
- Coldwater use: Yes
- Type of second stage: Pneumatically balanced
- Opening Effort Control Knob: No
- Integrated Venturi Lever: Yes
- Mouthpiece: Comfo-bite™
- Exhaust Tee: Standard – one set supplied
- Heat Exchanger for freezing resistance: Yes
- Hose Type: Braided Flexi-hose
- Overall work of breathing (WOB) scores: Avg. 0.90 joules/litre
- Nitrox compatible: Yes to 40% o2 when new, out of the box
Proudly family owned, Mike and Deb have run Jetty Dive Centre since 1996. Our team has developed extensive knowledge in the products we stock, as we’re out diving with them! If you have any questions or would like a personal recommendation, feel free to contact us anytime. We’d be happy to help you out any way we can!