The latest addition to the Sea & Sea strobe collection is a product you do not want to miss! When the marine animal you have been trying to get the perfect picture of is finally in front of you, theSea & Sea YS-D3 Strobe Mk II precision will let you fire at any moment! It is equipped with a maximum Guide Number of GN33 which enhance underwater light and color needed to make your image stand out. The maximum beam angle of 100° make this a great choice for both enthusiastic and amateur photographers, as well as working professionals! The two-stage recycle time function provides priority shutter availability, which is just what you’re looking for when taking the perfect shots!
The new Sea & Sea D3 has been newly designed circuitry and the light-emitting unit produces a powerful guide number of 33. In addition, a high precision aspherical optical toroidal lens has been fitted over the two flash tubes to disperse an even light from the centre to the edge. The strobe`s beam angle will increase to 110°by attaching the standard accessories Diffuser. When the optional Dome diffuser is attached, the beam angle will increase to as wide as 150(TBD)
In order to avoid misunderstanding, the YS-D3 guide number (GN) and the beam angle are based on measurements taken on land (not underwater). Some competitors will often state a GN measured on land and the beam angle in water, for example, a GN 33 and beam angle of 110 degrees. However, this GN 33 value is based on a beam angle of 60~70 degrees. The beam angle may be expanded in water by a dome effect, however, the GN in water is significantly lower than the value measured on land.
Superior Consecutive Firing Capability to Capture those Critical Moments
The Sea & Sea YS-D3 Strobe Mk II utilizes larger capacity condensers compared with those used on competing strobes. In addition, the D3 is also equipped with a newly designed charging circuit. As a result, the YS-D3 will fire at GN16 continuously without any interval time. Even when the strobe is fired at GN22, the strobe will fire again within a mere 0.6 seconds. When the YS-D3 is fired at Guide Number over 22, a two-stage ready-to-fire signals will be issued. For instance, after the strobe fires at full power of GN33, the strobe will inform you both visually and audibly when the condenser is charged to fire at GN22. Then, when the condenser is charged enough to fire at GN33, another different signal will be issued. This design allows you to release more shutters in scenes where you want to shoot as many pictures as possible, maximizing shooting intervals between scenes.
Backlight panel that is effective when shooting in dark environments The indicator colour on the back of the YS-D3 changes each time the position of the mode switch is changed. Blue (in DS-TTLII mode), light blue (in slave TTL mode), orange (in manual mode with pre-flash), and green (in manual mode without pre-flash) The positioning of the operating system is obvious during night diving.
- Guide Number (ISO 100/m) (land)] : 33, 28 (with Diffuser attached)
- Beam Angle: 105°x80° (without Diffuser), 110°x100°(with Diffuser)
- Batteries: 4xAA A: 6V Ni-MH: 4.8V
- Number of Flashes *1: A: 140 Ni-MH: 220
- Recycle time (full) *2: A: 3.5 sec. Ni-MH: 1.7 sec.
- Color temperature: 5800K
- Color temperature w/diffuser: 5500K
- Depth rating: 100m / 330ft
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 92x111x147mm / 3.6 x 4.4 x 5.8 inches (excluding ball base)
- Weight: 610g / 21.5oz (w/o batteries) (excluding YS-base)
- Underwater weight: Approx.+40g / 1.4oz (incl. batteries)
- Exposure control: DS-TTL II, Slave TTL, Light level control dial (GN): 1 / 1.4 / 2 / 2.8 /4 / 5.6 /8 / 11 / 16 / 22 / 33 (11 steps)
- DS-TTL II function
- Slave function
- Auto power OFF function 30min
- Sync cord: 5-pin Sync cord/N, Fiber-Optic Cable
- Over-pressure relief valve
- LED target light (output is adjustable in 2 steps)
- Audible charge signal
- *1 Number of flashes and recycle time depends on the battery brand, temperature and frequency of use.
- *2 Number of flashes and recycle time of Ni-MH batteries were tested on 2500 mAh batteries.
What’s in the box?
- Sea & Sea YS-D3 Mk II Strobe
- Ball Mount Adaptor
- 100° Diffuser
Proudly family owned, Mike and Deb have run Jetty Dive Centre since 1996. Our team has developed extensive knowledge in the products we stock, as we’re out diving with them! If you have any questions or would like a personal recommendation, feel free to contact us anytime. We’d be happy to help you out any way we can!
Check out our Dive Centre Youtube clip to see how good the diving is at the Solitary Islands Marine Park!