Our conservation efforts
At Jetty Dive Centre we are very proud of the ocean planet that we get to spend our time exploring, and will do anything we can to help maintain it’s integrity. We do this through many of our environmental policies in day to day life, but we also like to give back with larger efforts.
As Mike & Deb took over ownershi in 1996, and social media didn’t really start to become a communication method for business until at least 2010, and as we never did clean ups for the credit we unfortunately have limited documentation for our past efforts.
In an attempt to document these we have found some details, but endeavor to continue this list forward by continuing our conservation in future.
How have we helped?
|Type of Effort||Date||People Involved||Activites completed||Amount of trash collected?|
|Clean Up Australia Clean Up Day||2008||Staff and Customers||Cleanup in Jetty Area||At least 10 bags of trash.|
|Clean Up Australia Clean Up Day||12/09/2012||Dive Customers and Staff||Not Recorded||Not recorded|
|Clean Up Australia Clean Up Day||21/09/2013||Dive Customers||Not Recorded||Not recorded|
|Clean Up Australia Clean Up Day||6/03/2016||Dive Customers||Not Recorded||Not recorded|
|Staff Clean Up||3/06/2016||Lindsay, (Past Staff) Andrew and Bryce||Small cleanup effort underneath Coffs Harbour Jetty. Collected trash and removed||About 2kg.|
|Seaside Scavenge||13/08/2017||Dive Customers and Staff||Provided free air fills/tank hire for all that participated, had staff participate in cleanup efforts||5 Dive Tubs of Rubbish|
|Marine Cleanup||7/07/2019||SURG (Solitary Islands Research Group)||Not Recorded||Not Recorded|
Clean Up 2008
This list is by no means exhasutive, and we are always adding to it and improving our procedures!
What we do to reduce waste
- We have implemented online indemnity forms, this eliminates hundreds of pieces of paper being used per year. This online form was implemented mid-year 2021, so we do not have a full year of statistics to demonstrate paper saved. But in 2021 we had over 2000 divers join us, so paper savings will likely be around 2,000 sheets not printed per year.
- We re-use all paper printed on only one side in our printer. If cannot be re-printed upon, we use as scrap note paper.
- We no longer send printed invoices in our online orders.
- We ask customers if they would like a tax invoice emailed rather than printed.
- Show preference to suppliers with environmentally friendly packaging and products.
- We recycle to the maximum ability of local council – ie. Recycling bins for any recycling products, dropping soft plastics into RedCycle bins at Coles/ Woolworths stores, bottles and cans recycled with the Return and Earn scheme. We recycle metal at scrap metal recycling businesses. Green waste for food waste and grass/garden maintenance.
- All batteries, small electronics, printer cartidges are recycled at Officeworks.
- We harvest any old items for spare parts, to be used for rental equipment or provided to customers if requested.
- We monitor waste levels to ensure kept to a minimum.
What we do to reduce energy
- All lights (except for security lighting) are turned off at close of business.
- Computers and technology (except for security cameras and associated PC) are switched off at close of business
- We have solar panels installed and schedule when using the most electricity around times when the most energy can be generated.